A multi-sensory sensory room is a stimulating environment aimed at developing coordination, motor skills, colour recognition, communication and sensory skills for children and adults with sensory impairments.
The senses can be auditory, visual, tactile, motor, cognition, communication, proprioception or vestibular.
The facilities can be used both passively and interactively to:
- calm overactive behaviours
- relax and bond with children / parents / carers
- engage or stimulate the senses to learn
- control new movements or recover / re-learn / rehabilitate
Research shows that for individuals with learning and physical disabilities, sensory impairments and autism, regular access to a sensory room or sensory equipment assists with sensory development. Sensory integration is effective in addressing challenges associated with sensory processing problems and behavioural difficulties in children and adults.
Individuals with regular access to sensory stimulation can make significant improvements in emotional health and enhance their learning experience.
To arrange an induction session get in touch
Following your induction you can book the Sensory Room for £10 per hour for up to 4 supervised children. members of WHISH are able to use the room for free.
Available from 10.00am–4.00pm, Monday - Friday and other times by prior arrangement
Come and stimulate your senses around our tactile boards, twinkling fibre optic lights and aroma diffuser. Gaze into the infinity panel, feel the vibrating, colour changing bubble tubes, surrounded by relaxing sounds and For the more agile, we have a vibrating ball pool with integral music. Relax and enjoy our slide show on the projector, get cosy on a beanbag and wrap yourself up in blankets or fibre optic lights.
- The Sensory room is designed to be a calming environment in which children, adults and the elderly feel comfortable and are therefore ready to learn.
- The Sensory room provides an interactive experience between adults and children, children and other children and adults and the elderly. Activities can be used to promote turn-taking and communication.
- The Sensory room experience can be used to add extra meaning to a story, rhymes and songs.
- Children, adults and the elderly can achieve a sense of ‘cause and effect’ by using switches attached to lights and toys.
- The Sensory equipment provides stimulation for those who are exploring the world around them via their senses.
- The calming environment is a place for parents and carers to bond with their children or the person they are caring for.
- Relaxation is good for everyone’s emotional health; it gives them a chance to explore their feelings in a safe environment.
Donate for someone else to use the room
Our sensory room is a valuable space for our members and for the public to use. It's a safe place to play and explore, while encouraging general development and learning.
We run the room at no cost to our members because we know how big the benefit is to them. We want to keep making the room better and better, but the cost of running the room is getting higher as time goes on.
For those who want to help us keep these services running, WHISH has created a PayPal donation button. A donation of £10 covers the cost of running the room for an hour for our members families to use the room. PayPal will give you the option to give a one off or a recurring donation. Anything you can do is invaluable to us and to our members, and we thank anyone who is able to help us out.
Click the button below to help: